This time next year.. day 12

Hi again all,

So hopefully after my rest day in Tromso, I will be fully refreshed and ready to head off again on my journey! :) The other positive is that because I am only going to be the maximum of one time zone ahead, it wont affect me on my adventure. :) Its funny writing this blog post when it is sunny outside and thinking about how cold it will be up in Alta.

Day 12 will see me head further North for around another 192 miles to the town of Alta. Alta is the northernmost city in the world over a population of 10,000.



Alta, like a lot of Norway is great for activities like skiing and is surrounded by mountains.



Because of the temperatures and the period of time it is chilly through the year, Alta is able to have something we could never have in the UK, an igloo hotel! I have always wanted to go to one but unfortunately it will not be there in May when I go and is only open from Mid January to Mid April. But then again this just means that I will have to go again and take the wife who will probably be annoyed with me if I go without her! ;)


I could always try and build my own igloo whilst I'm there! ha ha or maybe make a den out when wild camping... just like I used to when I was young! :) Something else I got momentarily excited about was a reindeer farm..as in a looking after type farm..not a lets grow them to munch them type farm! A Reindeer is something that I never saw on Arctic Ride 2011 but I would love to, whether its wild or organised. :) However, the Reindeer farm is only open between Mid July to Mid August! Back to the drawing board for me!

One good thing that is going to be open (fingers crossed) is Alta Museum. There are 1.2km of boardwalks around the museum where you can see carvings made into the mountains, thought to be between 2,000 and 6,000 years old!

One funny final thing is that when looking for things in Alta, I came across a review for a restaurant that serves food including Grouse, Cloudberries and Cowberry..yeah something to try... I guess..ha ha

Right..that's it for day 12, please check back in tomorrow for some exciting news :)

If you would like to sponsor me on my journey please click on the link :)  www.virginmoneygiving.com/arcticride2014

Until Tomorrow

Ride Safe

Gordon

Comments

Popular Posts